Update 18th January 2021
Dear Parents / carers
Fiveways continues to welcome all pupils at school supporting highest possible attendance and quality of education. We are maximising the number of pupils attending full time whilst keeping the best interests of both pupils and staff at the heart of decisions; balancing provision with health and safety. We regularly review provision with parents, carers, unions and other agencies to agree the best approach for our circumstances.
Additional and complimentary remote home learning includes bespoke pupil provision focused on their Personal Learning Goals (PLGs) as part of meeting their Education Health & Care Plan. Refer to the Remote Home Learning Guide.
Provision planning and risk assessment for health and safety systems of control are in line with DfE guidance for special schools stating that they should “put in place measures that suit their particular circumstances”
Particular areas to consider in the context of Fiveways, as a school specifically for pupils with severe, profound and multiple learning disabilities, are:
- Number and ratio of adults required for safe and high quality specialist provision
- Close personal contact required between pupils and staff
- Pupils not able to socially distance
- Adults not able to socially distance between themselves when supporting pupils e.g. personal care, manual handling, appropriate social interaction
- Face masks reducing effective communication with pupils
Onsite school provision “cannot be a ‘one size fits all’ approach … Education setting leaders are best placed to understand the needs of their settings and communities, and to make informed judgements about how to balance delivering a broad and balanced curriculum with the measures needed to manage risk.” DfE Guidance for opening of special schools and other specialist settings
With best wishes, Mark
If your child develops symptoms of COVID-19, you should organise for your child to be tested via the NHS online portal or by calling 119. Your household should isolate until you receive the test results giving the all clear.
Symptoms of COVID 19
The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are:
- new continuous cough and/or
- high temperature and/or
- a loss of, or change in, normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)